What is ISO 45001:2018 ?
ISO 45001:2018 specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, and gives guidance for its use, to enable organizations to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving its OH&S performance.
What are the key benefits to your organization?
ISO 45001 ensures your organization has a management system in place to reduce health & safety risks within the workplace – protecting workers from potential harm and increasing profitability at the same time. Other benefits of ISO 45001 include:
- Reduced overall costs of incidents.
- Reduced risk of downtime and the costs of disruption to operations.
- Reduced absences and employee turnover rate.
- Improved ability to respond to legal and compliance requirements.
- Recognition for achieving an international benchmark.
- Continual improvement of OH&S performance.
- Demonstrate corporate responsibility and meet supply chain requirements.
- Motivate and engage staff in consultation and participation.
- Protect brand reputation.
How can PSQC help my business gain ISO 45001 certification?
We work alongside your existing health and safety professionals to work out the most effective way to implement ISO 45001 in your business. This may include presentations to your senior team, training and support on production of policies and manuals.
Is ISO 45001 certification right for me?
ISO 45001 is right if you and your organization need to demonstrate a commitment in managing the safety of workers and interested parties. If you have already implemented a quality or environmental management sytem aligned with the new Annex SL structure ISO 45001 can be integrated smoothly. Organizations that implement ISO 45001 need:
- a clear management structure with defined authority and responsibility.
- defined objectives for improvement, with measurable results.
- a structured approach to risk assessment and reduction.
If you have certification to OHSAS 18001 you will need to migrate to ISO 45001 to maintain the validity of certification. There is the normal 3 year migration period so there is still time to plan your move over to ISO 45001 certification.
UPDATE: DUE TO COVID-19 THE MIGRATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED BY SIX MONTHS TO 30TH SEPTEMBER 2021.
Organizations that are committed to sustainability are increasingly aligning their corporate strategies to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Accredited certification of ISO 45001, the international occupational health and safety management system, demonstrates an organization’s commitment to ensuring decent work conditions, health, wellbeing and equality practices. For organizations seeking to enhance their ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) profile, implementation of ISO 45001 and its alignment to the SDGs sends a powerful message to shareholders and stakeholders including employees, that they truly care for their people.